Chhattisgarh Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Government has inked $250 Million Loan Agreement with Asian Development Bank (ADB) to Improve Rural Connectivity in 5 States viz. Assam, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and West Bengal under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY). The loan proceeds will be used to finance the construction of 6,254 kilometres all-weather rural roads in these 5 States under the PMGS).
It is first tranche Loan of the $500 million Second Rural Connectivity Investment Program for India approved by the ADB Board in December 2017. The program is aimed to improve rural connectivity, facilitate safer and more efficient access to livelihood and socio-economic opportunities for rural communities through improvements to about 12,000 kms Rural Roads across 5 States.
Significance of ADB-funded investment program
- Provide continued assistance to PMGSY and support the Government’s long-term goal for rural development.
- It will have transformative impact in terms of rural economy and will bring greater efficiency in terms of access and connectivity for rural people in 5 States.
- Under it about 2,000 technical personnel will be imparted training on road safety and maintenance.
- It will also support Government’s drive for innovative approaches to reduce costs, conserve non-renewable natural resources and promote use of waste materials in rural road construction.
- It builds upon $800 million ADB-financed first Rural Connectivity Investment Program in 2012 that added about 9,000 kms of all-weather rural roads in the same States.
- The road designs under it take into account climate risks (such as increased rainfall and storm surges) with measures such as greater elevation of road embankments, slope protection, and better drainage.
Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY)
PMGSY was launched in year 2000 as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme with an objective to provide single all-weather road connectivity to all eligible unconnected rural villages (habitations). The Union Ministry of Rural Development is nodal implementing authority. It was fully funded scheme by the central government.
Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman gave away Republic Day Parade 2018 best tableau award to Maharashtra and best marching contingent award to Punjab Regiment Contingent.
The ceremonial Republic Day Parade 2018 was held on 26 January 2018 at Rajpath to celebrate 69th Republic Day. It was presided over by President Ram Nath Kovind and 10 leaders of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) were guests of honour. India’s military might was fully displayed during the annual celebrations.
Total of 23 tableaux (14 from States & Union Territories, 2 from Ministry of External Affairs and rest of the tableaux from other Ministries/Departments) participated in this year’s Republic Day Parade. Ministry of External Affairs 2 tableaux depicted long socio-cultural, religious, educational & trade relations between India and 10 ASEAN countries
Republic Day Parade 2018 Awards
Best marching contingent
- Among Three Services: Punjab Regiment (1st).
- Among para-military and other auxiliary forces: Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
- First: Tableau from Maharashtra depicting coronation of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj was awarded first prize.
- Second: Tableau from Assam depicting traditional masks and sastras begged second prize.
- Third: Tableau of Chhattisgarh depicting Ramgarh’s ancient amphitheatre along with artistes performing dance, based on Kalidasa’s Meghadootam was awarded third prize.
- Union Ministries/Departments Category: Tableaux of Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports depicting ‘Khelo India’ was given first prize.
School children items category
- First prize: South Central Zone Cultural Centre, Nagpur (Maharashtra) performing ‘Baredi Dance’ from Madhya Pradesh.
- Consolation prizes: It was awarded to North East Zone Cultural Centre, Dimapur (Nagaland) for performing Sangrai Mog Dance of Tripura and Oxford Foundation School, Najafgarh, Delhi for performing Shikshit Bharat, Shashakt Bharat dance.