Chief Ministers Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Veteran CPI (M) leader Pinarayi Vijayan was sworn-in as 12th Chief Minister of Kerala after the left Democratic Front (LDF) had won 2016 state assembly election.
State Governor P Sathasivam administered his oath of office and secrecy to him along with other 18 ministers of his government in Thiruvananthapuram.
In the 2016 state assembly election, the CPI (M)-led coalition of LDF had emerged victorious after winning 91 seats in the 140 member Assembly. Then ruling United Democratic Front (UDF) had emerged as largest opposition coalition after winning 47 seats.
About Pinarayi Vijayan
- Born on 24 May 1945 in Malabar district in then Madras Presidency of British India.
- He had entered into active politics through student union activities and had joined the Communist Party in 1964.
- Currently he is a member of the CPI(M) and is also a member of its Politburo since he was elected in 2002.
- He had served as Secretary of the Kerala State Committee of the CPI(M) from 1998 to 2015. He is the longest serving secretary in the history of party.
- Earlier he was elected as MLA in 1970, 1977 and 1991 from Koothuparamba and in 1996 from Payyannur. In 2016 he won from from Dharmadom constituency
- He had served as Minister of Electric Power and Co-operatives from 1996 to 1998 in then left government of Kerala.
BJP leader and former Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal (54) was sworn-in as the 14th Chief Minister of Assam after winning 2016 state assembly election with absolute majority.
State Governor Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya administered the oath of office and secrecy to Sarbananda Sonowal at the oath taking ceremony held in Khanapara, Guwahati. Besides, Governor also administered oath of office and secrecy to the 10 ministers of his government.
With this, maiden BJP government assumed power in the North Eastern state for first time in the political history of independent India.
Sarbananda Sonowal also became second tribal chief minister of Assam after Jogen Hazarika who was in the office 1970s.
About Sarbananda Sonowal
- Born on 31 October 1961 in Dibrugarh, Assam. He is popularly known as a firebrand and dynamic youth politician of Assam and also regarded as a Jatiya Nayak.
- Before entering into politics, he was the President of All Assam Students’ Union (ASSU) from 1992 to 1999.
- In 2001, he was elected as the member of Assam assembly on the ticket of Asom Gana Parishad.
- Later in 2004, he became Lok Sabha member for the first time from Dibrugarh constituency.
- Later he joined the BJP and for the first time became state BJP President in 2013. He was elected to the 16th Lok Sabha from the Lakhimpur Lok Sabha constituency.
- He had served as Union Minister for Sports & Youth Affairs and Union Minister of State (MoS) for Entrepreneurship and Skill Development in the Narendra Modi Government.