China-Myanmar Current Affairs
Myanmar has officially announced to support for China’s ambitious One Belt and One Road (OBOR) connectivity initiative along the ancient Silk Road.
It was announced in the joint statement released by both countries during official state visit of Myanmar’s State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi to China.
Key highlights of Aung San Suu Kyi’s visit to China
- Myanmar also Bangladesh-China-India-Myanmar (BCIM) economic corridor meant to industrialise a stretch spanning more than 2,000-km.
- BCIM corridor links Kunming in China with Mandalay in Myanmar and passes through Bangladesh and ends at Kolkata in India.
- Myanmar also asked for China’s support to realise peace and national reconciliation through political dialogue in case of militancy.
- Myanmar has been a victim of militancy which for decades is fuelled by clandestine sale of drugs, jade and timber, mostly channelled through China.
- Myanmar also discussed on issues for China’s support for it infrastructure projects including on Myitsone dam project.
- Myitsone dam project is controversial China-backed project in Northeastern Myanmmer stalled since 2011 on the grounds of causing extensive ecological damage.
- Talks were also held for establishing an Asian super-grid with Myanmar as one of its nodes with China’s state-owned State Grid Corporation.