China-US Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
China has rapped United States for its interventions in Asia as tensions are growing between the two powers over territorial disputes in the South China Sea (SCS).
In this regard, China’s Defence Minister has levied thinly veiled criticism at recent US involvement in Asia’s trouble spots.
- China has claimed its territorial rights over almost the entire South China Sea region while other countries Malaysia, Brunei, Philippines, Vietnam and Taiwan also have rival claims.
- To support its rights, China also has built artificial islands capable of supporting military facilities the strategically vital South China Sea.
- Earlier to oppose China’s moves, US had conducted freedom of navigation operations close to artificial islands built by China in the SCS as it pose a challenge to freedom of navigation.
- Besides, it also had agreed to deploy a missile defence system in South Korea following repeated nuclear and missile tests by China’s ally North Korea.
- US also has sought to “pivot” to Asia by increasing its military and economic engagement with countries in region which is seen as its move to contain China’s growing power.
- In July 2016, an international Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) in its pronouncement had ruled that China has no legal basis over the entire SCS. However, China has rejected PCA verdict.