Classical Dances Current Affairs - 2020
Legendary classical danseuse Mrinalini Sarabhai passed away in Ahmedabad, Gujarat due to age related health complications. She was 97.
She was trained in Bharatnatyam, Kathakali and Mohiniyattom and was educated at Shantiniketan under the guidance of Rabindranath Tagore.
About Mrinalini Sarabhai
- Mrinalini Sarabhai was born on 11 May 1918 in Kerala. She was daughter of former MP Ammu Swaminathan and founder of the Darpana Academy of Performing Arts in Ahmedabad.
- She was trained in the south Indian classical dance Bharatanatyam under Meenakshi Sundaram Pillai.
- She was also trained in classical dance-drama of Kathakali under the legendary Guru Thakazhi Kunchu Kurup.
- She was one of the first classical dancer to turn to choreography. She has trained over 18,000 students in Bharatnatyam and Kathakali.
- Besides being a classical dancer, she was a writer, poet and environmentalist and had played a leading role in the social and art scene in Ahmedabad.
- Family: She was widow of noted space scientist Dr. Vikram Sarabhai who is considered as the Father of the Indian Space Program. Leading danseuse, actor and activist Mallika Sarabhai is her daughter.
- Awards and Honours: Padma Bhushan Award (1992), Padma Shri (1965) and Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship (1994).