Cobra Gold Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The United States and Thailand are hosting the multi-nation Cobra military exercise this year. The exercise is taking place in the northern Thai province of Phitsanulok. 10000 personnel, 29 nations are taking part as participants or observers.
About Cobra Gold Exercise
- It is one of the Asia-Pacific region’s largest multinational military exercises that is held in Thailand every year.
- It was first held in 1982 and its headquarters is in Bangkok, Thailand.
- This is a Thai-American initiative with an aim to improve coordination between the armed forces.
- India joined this exercise for the first time in 2016 while China was admitted for the first time in 2015 but was only allowed to participate in humanitarian assistance training.
- This exercise improved coordination among the military in response to natural disaster. Some of the examples are the Indian Ocean tsunami 2004, 2011 Tōhoku tsunami, Typhoon Haiya etc.
- This year it is the 38th edition of this exercise and it will see active participation from Singapore, Japan, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia and South Korea, Thailand, and the United States.
- The exercise will include three components: military field training, humanitarian assistance, and disaster relief training.
- India is participating in this exercise with a 14 member contingent.
What is Phitsanulok?
It is the capital of Phitsanulok Province and is located in the north of Thailand is on the banks of the Nan river. It is one of the oldest cities of Thailand.