commemorative coin Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
PM Modi is on an official visit to Thailand to attend the ASEAN, RCEP and East Asia Summits. He addressed the Indian diaspora in the country at the “Sawasdee PM Modi” event in the Thai capital, Bangkok.
Highlights of his address
- North East India to be the gateway to South East Asia as a part of India’s Act East Policy
- India announced itself open-defecation free on Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary
- Around 8 crore homes have received free LPG connections in 3 years.
- GoI is working to achieve the goal of house for every poor by 2022, when India celebrates 75 years of independence.
- Princess Maha Chakri Srindhorn is an expert in Sanskrit language and has deep interest towards culture. India has shown its gratitude to her by bestowing the Padma Bhushan and Sanskrit Samman award to her.
Prior to his speech, the PM released a commemorative coin marking 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev and also released the Thai translation of Tamil classic Tirukkural.
Tags: 550th birth anniversary of Baba Guru Nanak • ASEAN • commemorative coin • East Asia Summit • India-Thailand
The Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs Smt Nirmala Sitaraman released a commemorative coin on Paramahansa Yogananda to mark his 125th birth anniversary on October 29, 2019.
Paramahansa Yogananda was an Indian monk, guru and yogi who introduced millions of teachings of meditation and Kriya Yoga through his organization Self-Realization Fellowship. He was the first major teacher to settle in USA. He published his book Autobiography of a Yogi in 1946. The book has been regularly reprinted in the name “The book that changed the lives of millions”. In 2014, a documentary “Awake: The Life of Yogananda” was released and it won multiple awards all over the world.
In 1917, he founded the Yogoda Satsanga Society of India
Yogananda was born in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh in 1893. In 1920, he went to the USA as an Indian delegate to an International Congress of Religious Liberals. The same year he founded Self-Realization Fellowship. The objective of the foundation was to disseminate his teachings, practices and philosophy of yoga worldwide. Yogananda returned to India in 1935
In 1977, India released a commemorative stamp to honor Yogananda. On March 7, 2017, PM Modi released another stamp to honor him on his 100th death anniversary.
Tags: Coins • commemorative coin • commemorative stamp • India-USA • Religious Texts