Committee Current Affairs
President Ram Nath Kovind will preside over first meeting of National Committee for Commemoration of 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi in 2019. The committee is headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and has 114 members on board including Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu, former Prime Ministers and Chief Justice of India, Lok Sabha Speaker, members of union cabinet, political party leaders, chief ministers, Gandhians, spiritual gurus and social workers among others.
The birth anniversary of father of the nation will be commemorated from 2nd October, 2019 to 2nd October, 2020. Many events are planned to organised at both national and international level to propagate message of Mahatma Gandhi. In 2018-19 budget proposals, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had earmarked Rs. 150 crore for the celebrations.
The 114-member committee will discuss policies, plans and preparatory activities for commemoration of birth anniversary. Its recommendations will be considered for implementation by government. The Ministry of Culture will be nodal ministry for celebrations. Chief Ministers of different states, leaders of various political parties, Gandhians, spiritual leaders and social workers are expected to attend the meeting.
Union Government on 14 April 2015 constituted a task force on interlinking of rivers in the country.
The Task Force will be chaired by former Secretary of Ministry of Water Resources B N Navalawala and comprises experts and senior officials.
Terms of References of Task Force
- Take up all issues related to expediting the work on interlinking of rivers in the country.
- Consider alternative plans in case of infeasible links in the present National Perspective Plan (NPP) apart from examining the existing links which are laid out as per the NPP under both Himalayan and Peninsular components.
- Facilitate interlinking of intra-basin and intra-state Rivers, along with that of inter-state and inter-basin links.
- Recommend time schedules for completing feasibility studies of all the river links along with implementation schedule.
- Suggest different means of funding mechanisms for the interlinking of rivers project.
- Provide guidance norms of appraisal for individual projects in respect of economic viability, environmental impacts, socio-economic and preparation of resettlement plans.
- Device suitable mechanisms in order to bring speedy consensus among the states.
- To implement the interlinking of Rivers, propose suitable organizational structure.