Communications Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
China has successfully launched the first satellite dubbed as The Tiantong-01 for mobile telecommunication.
It was launched on-board of the Long March-3B carrier rocket from Xichang Satellite Launch Centre.
- The Tiantong-01 is the first satellite of China’s homemade satellite mobile telecom system. It is a key part of the country’s space information infrastructure.
- It will operate in a geosynchronous orbit (GEO) and shall establish a mobile network with ground facilities, providing services for China, Middle East, Africa and other areas.
- It is S-Band mobile communications satellite designed by China Academy of Space Technology (CAST) and its ground service will be operated by China Telecom.
- Its mobile communication system application subsystem was developed by Henan Communication Technology Co. Ltd.
Long March-3B carrier rocket: It was produced by China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALVT). It was the 232nd flight of the Long March series carrier rockets, and the 36th launch of the Long March-3B.
Scientists from Trinity College Dublin’s School of Physics and CRANN Institute have discovered a new property of light based on Angular Momentum.
The scientific breakthrough discovery has potential to alter the basic understanding of fundamental nature of light.
- The discovery was made by passing light through crystals. During it passage, unexpected new property of light, based on the concept called ‘angular momentum’ was observed.
- Earlier, physicists always thought that in all forms of light the angular momentum (measures how much a beam of light is rotating) will be a multiple of Planck’s constant (physical constant that sets the scale of quantum effects).
- But in the new discovery scientists discovered very different behavioural of angular momentum.
- They found angular momentum of each photon (a particle of visible light) takes only half of this value i.e. each photon have half-integer values of angular momentum.
- This new property causes a beam of light to be confined to fewer than three dimensions.
- Significance of Discovery: Help in study of light waves in areas such as secure optical communication which will open up new means for faster internet connections.
- Enable to study new possibilities including particles whose quantum numbers are fractions of those expected.
- For the first time the discovery shows how quantum mechanics works for particles that are free to move in only two of the three dimensions of space and can be realised with light.