Counter-Terrorism Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
A 28-member delegation from European Union met PM Modi on October 28, 2019. The delegation will visit Kashmir on October 29, 1019. The delegation is to check on the reality of the situation in Kashmir. This is the first trip to the region by a foreign delegation after India revoked Article 370 and integrated Kashmir with the rest of the country. India rejected US ‘s plea to visit the region earlier in October.
Highlights of PM’s speech to the delegates
- PM asserted that there should be Zero Tolerance for terrorism
- He also highlighted India’s jump in Ease of Doing Business Index from 142nd rank in 2014 to 63 in 2019
- He mentioned about the success of swachh Bharat, Ayushman Bharat, India’s commitment to eliminate TB by 2025
- The delegation will get a clear understanding about the cultural and religious diversity of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh
- GoI’s decision to allow a foreign delegation implies that situation is coming under control
- It will also take the wind out of the sails of Pakistan and Pakistan inspired anti-India liberal lobbies.
- As Europe is not in a position to wield the big power stick as that of US, experts believe that it is wise to let the EU first
Tags: Article 370 • Counter-Terrorism • India-EU • India-European Union • Kashmir
On October 27, 2019, USA president Donald Trump announced that the Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi died in a raid conducted by US special forces in north western Syria. According to the announcement, Baghdadi killed himself by detonating a suicide vest. He died running into a dead-end tunnel. He ignited the vest killing himself and his three children. His body was mutilated by the blasts.
The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria also known as Daesh gained global prominence in 2014 when it drove Iraqi government forces out of the key cities in Iraq. The group was designated terrorist organization by the United Nations as well as by many other individual countries. It was widely known for its beheadings and other type of executions of soldiers, civilians and destruction of cultural heritage sites. It was also committed to ethnic cleansing on an unprecedented scale in Northern Iraq.
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
Baghdadi headed Islamic State between 2013 and 2019. He was an Iraqi born militant who was designated Global terrorist by United States. In 2011, a reward was 10 million USD was announced for information about his whereabouts and it was increased to 27 million USD in 2017. He was born in a tribal group known as Al-Bu-Badri tribe.