COVID-19 Current Affairs - 2020
The Department of Science and Technology along with the office of Principal Scientific Adviser to GoI are to jointly formulate National Science Technology and Innovation Policy 2020. The policy is to be formulated in bottom-up, decentralized process.
About the Policy
The fifth Science and Technology Policy is to be formulated by the Indian Government as the country and the world are tackling COVID-19 pandemic problems. The policy is to be formulated in four interlinked tracks. They are as follows
- Track 1
- This track involved extensive expert and public consultation process. The consultation is to be done through Science Policy Forum.
- Track 2
- This track will use expert-driven thematic consultations.
- The track will feed in evidence-based information and recommendations to the policy drafting committee
- Around 21 thematic groups have been constituted
- Track 3
- This track involves consultations from the ministry
- Track 4
- In this track, apex level multi stake holder consultation will be involved
- Industrial bodies, Institutional leaders, Global partners and inter-state consultations are to be adopted in this track
Around 25 policy research fellows and scientists associated with Department of Science and Technology are to be involved in the policy making. The policy will also include lessons learnt from COVID-19.
Tags: COVID-19 • Department of Science and Technology (DST) • Policy • Science and Technology • Science Technology and Innovation Policy
On June 2, 2020, the Government of India launched Kisan Credit Card campaign to help dairy farmers. The Kisan Credit cards are to be provided to around 1.5 crore dairy farmers.
Under the Scheme, the Government of India is to provide Kisan Credit Cards to farmers that are associated with milk producing companies. The Department of Animal Husbandry has stepped in and circulated the relevant circulars. There are around 1.7 crore farmers that are associated with Milk union in India. They were registered under Dairy Cooperative Movement.
About the Campaign
In the first phase of the campaign, the farmers that are members of the dairy cooperative societies and those that are associated with milk unions are to be covered. For those farmers that already own a Kisan Credit Card based on their land ownership, the credit limit is to be enhanced.
The Kisan Credit Card campaign that provides KCC cards to 1.5 crore dairy farmers is a part of Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan. The scheme will also provide additional liquidity of worth Rs 5 lakh crore to farmers that are suffering from COVID-19 economic crisis.