Cricket Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India has won the test match against New Zealand by 197-runs in their historic 500th cricket Test in Kanpur.
On the fifth and final day of the match at Green Park, India bowled out the visitors for 236 in their second innings. Shortly after Lunch, they set them an improbable target of 434.
Senior off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin had taken 6 wickets in the innings, completed his fifth six-wicket haul in his career. Ravinder Jadeja was declared Man of the Match for his fine all-round performance. He had taken six wickets and scored 92 runs in the match.
This victory was India’s 88th on the home turf. It also gave them a 1-0 lead in the three-Test series. With this, India has now taken their unbeaten tally on home soil to 11 matches. On the other hand New Zealand has remained without a win on the Indian soil since 1998.
- India is the 4th country to play 500 Tests in a format which has 10 participants. Others are England (played 976 test matches), Australia (791) and West Indies (517).
- The first ever Test match was played by India in England on June 25, 1932 under Douglas Jardine. CK Nayudu was the captain of the Indian team.
Cricketers Ajinkya Rahane and Rohit Sharma were conferred with the Arjuna Award for their contributions to sport of cricket.
The award was bestowed upon them by Union Sports Minister Vijay Goel in New Delhi. Sharma was bestowed with the award for the year 2015 and Rahane for the year 2016.
Earlier, both were not able to receive awards from the President Pranab Mukherjee as they were participating in international tournaments.
About Arjuna Award
- The award was was instituted in 1961. It is given by Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports
- It is bestowed upon sportsperson in recognition of their outstanding achievement in National sports.
- The award carries bronze statuette of Arjuna, a scroll and a monetary award of 5 lakh rupees.