Cricket Current Affairs - 2020
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has appointed former spinner Anil Kumble (45) as the head coach of Indian Cricket Team. He will have tenure of one year.
The decision of his selection was taken in the BCCI working committee meeting in Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh.
Earlier the Cricket Advisory Committee comprising Sachin Tendulkar, Saurav Ganguly and VVS Laxman had proposed his name after interviewing 57 candidates.
As a head coach of Indian Cricket Team, Kumble’s first assignment will be India’s four-Test tour of West Indies.
About Anil Kumble
- In his 18 years (from 1990 to 2008) of cricket career, he had played 132 Tests and 271 One Day Internationals (ODIs) matches.
- Till date, he is India’s highest wicket-taker (1136 wickets). In his career, he had taken 619 test wickets and 337 ODI wickets
- At international level, he is the 3rd highest wicket-taker in Test cricket after Muttiah Muralidaran (800 wickets) and Shane Warne (708 wickets).
- He is only the second bowler after England’s Jim Laker in Test cricket to take 10 wickets in an innings. He had achieved this feat in a test match against Pakistan in 1999 in Delhi.
- He was appointed Chairman of the ICC Cricket Committee in 2012 and still holds the position.
- He also had served as the chairman of the National Cricket Academy and BCCI’s Technical Committee. In IPL, he had mentored Royal Challengers Bangalore and Mumbai Indians.
- Awards and Honours: Padma Shri (2005), Arjuna Award (1995), Wisden Cricketer of the Year (1996). He was inducted into ICC’s Cricket Hall of Fame in 2015.
Tags: Anil Kumble • appointments • BCCI • Cricket • Persons in News
Rahul Johri took charge as first ever chief executive officer (CEO) of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) at its headquarters in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
The appointment and creation of post of BCCI CEO was based on the lines of key recommendations of the three-member Justice RM Lodha Committee.
As a CEO, Mr. Johri will directly report to the BCCI secretary Ajay Shirke and shall have freedom to work independently in BCCI’s set-up that was traditionally controlled by honorary office-bearers.
He will be responsible for the smooth functioning of operations, stakeholder management of BCCI and also build robust strategies for further promoting the sport of cricket.
About Rahul Johri
- Prior to this appointment, he was working as Asia Pacific’s Executive Vice-President for Discovery Networks and General Manager (GM) for South Asia.
- He has rich experience of 20 plus years in the media industry and is widely respected in the broadcasting industry for converting Discovery to a 11-channel bouquet.
- He was associated with Discovery Networks for the last 15 years and was leading its South Asia operations for the past 8 years.