Cricket Current Affairs - 2020
Former India captain Anil Kumble has been re-appointed ICC (International Cricket Council) Cricket Committee chairman for a second term of three years.
Earlier he was appointed as the chairman for his first term in 2012 and now he will continue to head the panel until 2018. Anil Kumble is all-time highest wicket-taker for India.
- Besides, former Indian Rahul Dravid was also named member of the ICC Cricket Committee.
- Former Sri Lanka skipper Mahela Jayawardene also has been appointed member.
- Former Australia off-spinner Tim May has been elected as current player representative and shall replace Laxman Sivaramakrishnan, who has completed his three-year term.
- Three-time ICC Umpire of the Year Richard Kettleborough also has been appointed as umpires’ representative in the committee.
The ICC Cricket Committee is representative of all stakeholders in the game of cricket, including players, umpires and the media. It is empowered to make recommendations on cricket playing issues to the ICC’s Chief Executives’ Committee (CEC) and, if the matter is a policy matter, the ICC Board for approval.
Tags: Anil Kumble • Cricket • ICC • Persons in News • Sports
Veteran cricket administrator Shashank Manohar (58) was elected unopposed as ICC’s (International Cricket Council) first independent Chairman.
He was the sole nominee for the position and the ICC Board has now unanimously supported his appointment. He will have tenure of two years.
- He was elected to the post after the ICC Full Council’s approval of constitutional amendments proposed by the Board following its April 2016 meeting.
- The amendments had abolished the post of the ICC President and created the post of independent Chairman.
- The provision of ICC chief can’t be associated with a cricket board was also added in these amendments.
- In order to comply with provisions of ICC rules, Shashank Manohar had resigned from the post of BCCI president.
About Shashank Manohar
- Shashank Manohar by profession is a prominent lawyer.
- Born on 29 September 1957 in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- He had twice served as the President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), from 2008 to 2011 and from November 2015 to May 2016.
- As a cricket administrator he is known for his impeccable clean image and track record & integrity in cricketing circles.
About International Cricket Council (ICC)
- ICC the international governing body of cricket.
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Established: 1909 as Imperial Cricket Conference by representatives from England, Australia and South Africa. It took up its current name in 1989.
- ICC has 106 members: 10 Full Members that play Test matches, 57 Affiliate Members and 38 Associate Members.
- Functions: Responsible for the organisation and governance of cricket’s major international tournaments including Cricket World Cup.
- Appoints umpires and referees that officiate at all sanctioned Test matches, One Day Internationals (ODIs) and Twenty20 Internationals.
- Promulgates the ICC Code of Conduct, which sets professional standards of discipline for international cricket.
- Co-ordinates action against corruption and match-fixing through its Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU).