Cricket Current Affairs - 2020
Former South African cricketer Mickey Arthur has been appointed as cricket team’s head coach. It was announced by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).
With this appointment he fills the role vacated by Waqar Younis’ resignation in April 2016 following Pakistan’s early exit from the T20 World Cup.
This is Arthur’s third assignment with an assignment of international coaching. Earlier he coached South Africa from 2005 to 2010 and Australia from 2011 to 2013.
Under his coaching
- South Africa had won first series in England in over 40 years in 2008 and their maiden series victory in Australia in 2008-09 and leading them to the No. 1 ranking in Tests.
- Australia won 10 of their 19 Tests but the team had an uneasy relationship with him. He was sacked from the role less than three weeks before the 2013 Ashes series in England.
Arthur in his cricket career lasting a decade and a half had played 110 first-class matches in a South Africa domestic cricket.
Tags: appointments • Cricket • Mickey Arthur • Pakistan • Persons in News
Rahul Johri has been appointed as the first Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
Mr. Johri will report to the BCCI secretary and shall be given freedom to work independently in BCCI’s set-up that was traditionally controlled by honorary office-bearers.
In his new role he will be responsible for the smooth functioning of operations, stakeholder management of BCCI and building robust strategies for further promoting the sport of cricket.
Prior to this appointment, Mr. Johri had served as Discovery Networks Asia Pacific’s executive vice-president and general manager for South Asia. He has two decades of rich experience in the media industry.
- The appointment of CEO of BCCI was based on the lines of key recommendations of the three-member Justice RM Lodha Committee.
- The committee was appointed by the Supreme Court to suggest administrative reforms in Indian cricket i.e. to bring reform in BCCI, an apex governing body for cricket in India.
- It had recommended creation of the post of the CEO in order to separate BCCI’s governance and management duties with the CEO taking charge of the management side.