Cricket Current Affairs - 2020
Rest of India has won the Irani Cup Cricket Title 2015-16 by defeating Mumabi in the final match of the cup by four wickets.
In the final match played at Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai, Rest of India overhauled the record victory target of 480 by making 482 for 6 on the fifth and final day.
This successful chase was also the best-ever run-chase in the Irani Cup history. It has bettered Rest of India’s previous 424, chasing target set by Delhi at the Ferozshah Kotla in 1982-83.
About Irani Cup
- The Irani Cup tournament was started during the 1959-60 season to mark the completion of 25 years of the Ranji Trophy championship.
- It is named after the late Zal R Irani, who was associated with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) from its inception in 1928 till his death in 1970.
- The tournament is always played between the previous year’s Ranji Trophy winners and the Rest of India Team.
- ZR Irani was the long time treasurer of the BCCI and a keen patron of the cricket.
Tags: Cricket • Current Affairs 2016 • Mumbai • Sports
India has won the 2016 Asia Cup T20 trophy for a record sixth time after beating Bangladesh by 8 wickets in the final.
In the final match played at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium, Mirpur Indian team overhauled the chasing target of 121 runs set by Bangladesh by seven balls to spare.
Bangladesh by batting first had posted target of 120 runs for five wickets in 15 overs to India. The match was reduced to 15-over-per side after a spell of thundershowers.
Indian team made 122 for the loss of 2 wickets in 13.5 overs. India’s Shikhar Dhawan scored 60 runs and followed by Virat Kohli with 41 runs.
Captain of India: Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
Captain of Bangladesh: Mashrafe Mortaza.
Man of the Match: Shikhar Dhawan.
Man of the series: Sabbir Rahman (Bangladesh).
Most runs in the series: Sabbir Rahman (176) of Bangladesh.
Most wickets in the series: Al-Amin Hossain (11) of Bangladesh.
2016 Asia Cup
- The continental title was held in Bangladesh from 24 February to 6 March 2016. It was the 13th edition of the Asia Cup.
- It was the fifth to be held in Bangladesh and the first to be played using the T20I format.
- In this edition of Asia Cup T20 trophy 4 teams had participated including India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, United Arab Emirates (Qualifier).
After India, Sri Lanka has won the continental title 5 times followed by Pakistan twice.