Crisil Current Affairs
The SIDBI (Small Industries Development Bank of India) and ratings agency Crisil have launched CriSidEx, India’s first MSE Sentiment Index for micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs). The index will help to indicate the current state and expected outlook on the MSME sector every quarter.
CRISIL-SIDBI MSE Sentiment Index (or CriSidEx) has been developed jointly by CRISIL and SIDBI. It is a composite index based on diffusion index of 8 parameters. It measures MSE business sentiment on a scale of 0 (extremely negative) to 200 (extremely positive).
The parametric feedback for the index will be captured through a survey of 1100 MSEs. CriSidEx will have 2 indices, one for ‘survey quarter’ and another for ‘next quarter’. Once trend emerges after few rounds of survey, it will provide independent time series data.
Significance of index
- Provide crucial insights into employment, business environment and foreign trade in MSME sector.
- Allow policy makers to take timely proactive steps, including those based on early warnings thrown up by survey of index.
- Provide intelligence and insights for regulators, trade bodies, lenders as well as economic and financial analysts.
- Help in forecasting business environment by capturing sentiment on various business parameters such as business situation, capacity utilisation, order book and margins.
- Flag potential headwinds and changes in production cycles in MSME sector and thus help in improving market efficiencies.
India’s second largest software services firm, Infosys has appointed Roopa Kudva as an independent member on its board of directors.
At present, she is managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of Crisil, a subsidiary of global rating agency- Standard & Poor’s.
About Roopa Kudva
- Kudva had joined Crisil in 1992 and was appointed its MD and CEO in 2007.
- She also had worked with Standard & Poor’s in Paris as its Director at Financial Institutions Ratings covering the Middle-East, Eastern Europe, and Mediterranean countries.
- Kudva holds a postgraduate diploma in management (PGDM) from Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A).
- She is also a member of several policy-level committees relating to Indian government’s financial system, including committees of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) and the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).