Cruise tourism Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Between November 7 and November 8, 2019, the Ministry of shipping is hosting the first ever BIMSTEC Ports’ Conclave. The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multisectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation is an international organization that involves South East Asian and South Asian countries. India’s growing interests in the region makes the conclave crucial and significant. Also, the conclave will be a path way for India’s maritime security measures and its interests in the Indo-Pacific region
Highlights of the event
- The investment opportunities and best practices adopted for productivity and safety of the ports are to be discussed in the event.
- The Conclave includes sessions on “Port led Industrial Development and Tourism Development”
- The Conclave will also encourage Cruise Tourism. BIMSTEC nations with diverse historical and cultural heritages are ideal places to develop Cruise Tourism
- The Conclave will also adopt new technological solutions to maximize efficiency and productivity of the available spaces, time and resources in the ports. With the region being one of the fastest growing markets in the world, the supply chain are necessitating expansion beyond national boundaries, resulting in putting tremendous pressure on existing port infrastructure.
- The other discussions in the conclave are as follows
- Emergent roles of ports in the global supply chain
- Safe and Secure ports
- Port Services-Delivering Value
- Green Port Operations
Tags: BIMSTEC • Cruise tourism • Cultural Tourism • Foreign Investment • Indo-Pacific Region
Swadesh Darshan Scheme: Tourism Ministry sanctions Rs. 80.37 crore for developing cruise tourism in Kerala
Ministry of Tourism sanctioned Malanad Malabar Cruise Tourism Project under Swadesh Darshan Scheme for development of rural circuit in Kerala. Under this project, Ministry of Tourism will be developing three cruises with budget of Rs. 80.37 crores.
Three approved cruise are
- Malabari Cuisine and Culinary Cruise (Muthappan Cruise): It will start from Valapattanam and cover distance of 40 km to reach Munambu Kadavu in Valapattanam River.
- Valapattanam River- Theyyam Cruise: It will begin from Valapattanam and will go up to Pazhayangadi in Valapattanam River.
- Mangrove Cruise: It will be running on Kuppam River covering distance of 16 Km from Pazhayangadi to Kuppam.
The project will be focusing on development of water-based thematic cruise experiences in and around Valapattanam and Kuppam Rivers of Kannur District to tap potential of water tourism of Kerala. The cruises under it will be operated under Public Private Partnership (PPP) model.
Ministry of Tourism will provide funds for development of basic infrastructure facilities such as passenger terminals, boat terminals, jetties, boat race gallery, food courts, performance areas, bio toilets, wifi facility, drinking water facilities, floating markets for local produce among others.
Swadesh Darshan Scheme
The scheme was launched by Union Tourism Ministry with an objective to develop theme-based tourist circuits in the country. These tourist circuits will be developed on principles of high tourist value, competitiveness and sustainability in an integrated manner.
Under this scheme, 13 thematic circuits have been identified for development. They are Buddhist Circuit, North-East India Circuit, Coastal Circuit, Himalayan Circuit, Krishna Circuit, Desert Circuit, Eco Circuit, Wildlife Circuit, Tribal Circuit, Rural Circuit, Spiritual Circuit, Ramayana Circuit and Heritage Circuit.
It is 100% centrally funded scheme for the project components undertaken for public funding. It also has provision for leveraging voluntary funding under Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives of Central Public Sector Undertakings and corporate sector.
The funding of projects under this scheme varies from state to state. It is finalised on basis of detailed project reports prepared by Programme Management Consultant (PMC) which is national level consultant for implementing the scheme.