Culture Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On December 18, 2019, Sahitya Akademi announced its awardees for this year. It announced seven books of poetry, six short stories, four novels, three non-fiction books and three essays.
Sashi Tharoor, the former external affairs minister has won the award for his book “An Era of Darkness”. The other awardees include Chinmoy Guha, a Bengali Professor who has won for his essay “Ghumer Darja Thele”, tamil writer Dharman for his novel “Sool”. The awards are to be presented on February 25, 2020. The winners will be honored with a copper plaque and prize money of Rs 1 lakh.
A Santhali Novel “Marom” written by Shyam Besra also won the award. It is to be noted Santhali language was used in Rajya Sabha for the first time in the recent winter session of Parliament.
The academy was constituted by Government of India through a resolution passed in 1952. According to its constitution the academy is run by three authorities namely a general council, finance committee and an executive board.
The proposal of forming the academy was put forth in 1944 to the British Government by the Royal Asiatic Society of Bengal. The academy till date holds the largest library of multi-lingual books in India.
Tags: 2019 sahitya akademi • Culture • Literature • Sahitya Akademi • Sahitya Akademi Award
The Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat Parv is to be inaugurated by Union Human Resource Development Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank. It is organized by Kendra Vidhyalaya Sangathan under Ministry of HRD.
Highlights of the event
- The event is organized to showcase the spirit of “Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat”. It promotes communication and artistic skills of students through various competitions
- The students will prepare their own projects and exhibits on customs, dress, agriculture, economy, climate and topography. This will act as a good platform for the children to understand the art and culture of the states.
- The event will also help the children overcome linguistic and geographical barriers and awaken a strong sense of national pride and widen their horizons with better cosmopolitan outlook.
- The regions will prepare exhibits based on theme Fit India, Swachh Bharat, Ban on Single use plastic, etc.
Kendra Vidya Sangathan
- The Kendra Vidya Sangathan is a system of central government schools that operate under Ministry of Human Resource Development
- There are over 1209 KVS in India
- It is one of the world’s largest chains of schools
- The system was begun in 1963.
- The schools are affiliated to the CBSE
- The objective is to educate the children of the Indian Defence Service personnel who are posted in remote locations. After the army begun its own Army Public schools the service was extended to the central government employees.