Current Affairs 2012 Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
A powerful earthquake of magnitude of 7.5 on the Richter scale has hit the Hindukush region of north-eastern Afghanistan and Pakistan.
The focus of earthquake was centred 196 km deep beneath the Hindu Kush Mountains. It was centred 82 km southeast of Feyzabad district in Afghanistan’s sparsely populated Badakhshan province bordering with Pakistan, Tajikistan and China. Tremors from this earthquake were felt in northern India and Tajikistan.
Tectonic activity in Western Himalayan region
- Western Himalayan region is one of the most dangerous seismic zones in the world.
- In this region, Indian tectonic plate under the Himalayas is getting subducted under the Eurasian tectonic plate at Pamir Mountains with a rate of 4-5cm per year.
- Usually earthquakes in this region originate at depths greater than 100 km and faultlines along this convergence point releases huge energy making it more destructive.
- Earlier in 2005, a powerful earthquake of magnitude 7.6 on Richter scale had hit the Pakistan occupied Kashmir (POK) region and killed more than 75,000 people dead.
Tags: Afghanistan • Current Affairs 2012 • Current Affairs 2016 • Disaster • Earthquake
Mary Kom, the legendary boxer from North East wrote her autobiography titled “Unbreakable”. The book was inaugurated by Bollywood Megastar Amitabh Bachchan at Mumbai. Mary decided to pen down her life’s battles, so that she could inspire and motivate others to never loose hope and fight for their dream. The autobiography details her rise to the top from a modest background; the book beautifully brings out her long lasting spirit and is an inspirational story for everyone, especially for women.
About Mary Kom
- Five-time World Boxing champion, and the only woman boxer to have won a medal in each one of the six world championships.
- First Indian women boxer to qualify and win a bronze medal at the London Olympics in the flyweight (51 kg) category.
- Won lots of awards like Padma Bhushan (2013), Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award (2009), Padma Shree (2006), Arjuna Award (2003), etc.
- Appointed the International Boxing Association’s Ambassador for Women’s Boxing in 2009.