Current Affairs Facts Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Operation Meghdoot was an Indian armed forces operation launched 33 years ago on 13 April 1984. Here are the Five Facts about this operation:
1. Operation Meghdoot was an operation launched by Indian Armed Forces to capture the Siachen Glacier in Kashmir.
2. The operation was entrusted to one of the Kumaon Battalions, supported by Ladakh Scouts. Initial assault was led by Maj (later Col ) RS Sandhu, VrC. This military operation was unique because it was the first assault launched in world’s highest battlefield.
3. During the operation, Indian troops landed on Bilafond La on Saltoro ridge, west of Siachen glacier, on Friday, April 13, 1984. It was a Baishakhi day.
4. The operation resulted in Indian troops gaining control of the entire Siachen glacier, giving India strategic advantage and also maintaining status quo.
5. Siachen not only gives India opportunity to test the mettle of its own troops but also useful for R&D in various military disciplines. With occupying Siachen, India prides of sustaining its dominance on world’s highest battlefield, however has paid heavy price for it in the form of human costs.