Defecem Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India and Tajikistan have signed four agreements in areas including on double taxation avoidance, money laundering and counter-terrorism.
These agreements were signed following delegation level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting President of Tajikistan Emomali Rahmon in New Delhi.
Signed agreements are
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Broadcasting in Exchange of Audio Visual Programs
- MoU for cooperation in the exchange of financial intelligence related to money laundering, related crimes and financing of terrorism.
- Protocol amending the Agreement for the avoidance of double taxation and prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
- Announcement of initiation of Bilateral investment treaty between both countries.
Other highlights of bilateral delegation level talks
- Terrorism: Both countries agreed to deepen their engagement to deal with the threat of terrorism and radicalism in the neighbourhood especially in Afghanistan. Called to end sponsorship, support and provision of safe havens and sanctuaries to terrorists.
- CCIT: Both countries affirmed to resolve to work for early adoption of the Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism by the UN General Assembly.
- Security and Afghanistan: They called for an Afghan-led and Afghan-owned peace process and national reconciliation for Afghan peace and prosperity.
- Agreed to intensify defence and counter-terror cooperation to stabilise Afghanistan
- UNSC: Tajikistan support India’s bid for permanent membership of the United Nations Security Council.
- Energy business: Tajikistan invited India to invest in four free economic zones that have come up in the country and thanked it for the modernisation of the Varzob-1 Hydropower Station. It also sought investment in the upcoming small and medium hydroelectricity projects.
- Connectivity: Need for exploring the possibility of increasing flight operations between the two countries. Appreciated signing of the trilateral Chahbahar port agreement between India, Iran and Afghanistan as the project will provide connectivity to Tajikistan.
- People to people contact: Agreed to explore ways for easier business, medical and tourist and other visas to promote people to people exchanges.