Delhi Jan Lokpal Bill Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Delhi Assembly has unanimously passed the Delhi Jan Lokpal Bill, 2015 for establishment of statutory anti-corruption ombudsman.
The Bill provides powers to Lokpal to act against any government functionary including those of the Centre and in the national capital territory (NCT) of Delhi through its own investigation wing.
Key provisions of Jan Lokpal Bill, 2015
- Composition: Janlokpal will be a three member body with Chairperson and two members. They would be appointed by on recommendation of selection committee consisting of Chief Minister, Leader of Opposition and Speaker of Delhi Legislative Assembly.
- Jurisdiction: On receiving corruption complaints from the government or from members of public Janlokpal is empowered to investigate an allegation of corruption in the NCT including the Chief Minister’s office.
- It can even probe acts of corruption against Union ministers and central government officials working in the NCT of Delhi
- Investigation time period: The Lokpal will have to complete the investigation within a period of six months.
- Constitution of Special Courts: Delhi Government in consultation with the Chief Justice of Delhi High Court may constitute special courts as recommended by Janlokpal. The proceedings instituted by the Janlokpal cannot be stayed by any court.
- Quantum of Punishment: Rigorous imprisonment ranging from 6 months to 10 years. In rarest of rare cases it may be extended to life term.
- Those who file false cases against public functionaries would be also punished.
- Confiscation of Assets: The assets accumulated through corrupt means will be confiscated. Janlokpal may also confiscate property belonging to public servant if it has not been disclosed.
- Power of transfer or suspension of Public Servant: Janlokpal may recommend Government to suspend or transfer the public servant for a specified period if it feels that continuance of public servant under investigation might tamper with evidence or influence witnesses or affect the investigation.
- Whistleblowers Protection: Janlokpal can issue necessary orders to provide full protection for whistleblowers by protecting confidentiality and providing security. It can also initiate criminal action against the person involved in harassment of whistleblower.