DEMU Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Railways form the backbone of the Indian Transportation System. The Railways has undertaken following measures under its Go Green initiatives:
- Ministry of Railways has planned to set up 1000 Mega Watt (MW) solar power by 2020-21. This would help Railways to source about 10% of its electrical energy from renewable source.
- Wind energy plants of 36.5 MW have been installed by the Railways.
- Almost all electrified Railway stations and 99% of service buildings have been fitted with 100% LED luminaries by Indian Railways to reduce power consumption.
- Railways have started blending of 5% bio-diesel in High-Speed Diesel (HSD) for diesel locomotives.
- 20% Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) substitution in diesel engines of Diesel Power Cars of Diesel Electric Multiple Unit (DEMU) trains and the introduction of solar energy based DEMUs.
- Tree plantation to increase green cover in Railway Premises.
- Water Audits at major consumption centres as well as the proliferation of Water Recycling Plants and Rain Water Harvesting (RWH) Systems as a step towards better water management.
- Assessment and rating of Indian Railway’s Production Units and major Workshops as Green Industrial Units.
- Nearly 163,000 bio-toilets have been installed in around 44,500 coaches.
- Increasing the pace of electrification to reduce the dependency on fossil fuels.
Also, the Ministry of Railways has taken a policy decision for allocating 1% cost in all sanctioned works for execution of environment-related works.