Department of Science & Technology Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
With the aim of addressing opportunities and challenges in development of clean coal technologies, Union Minister of Science & Technology Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the National Centre for Clean Coal Research and Development (NCCCR&D) at Indian Institute of Science (IISc) in Bengaluru. The NCCCR&D has been launched at IISc. by Department of Science & Technology (DST).
National Centre for Clean Coal Research and Development (NCCCR&D)
It is a national consortium on clean coal research and development led by IISc. The partner of IISc includes IIT- Kharagpur, Madras, Guwahati, Bombay, and Hyderabad.
The consortium will work on identifying existing gaps in clean coal technology as major problem being faced by Indian power plants is high level of pollutants and low thermal efficiency.
The new centre would address several critical Research & Development (R&D) challenges towards development of clean coal technologies in tandem with developing supercritical power plant technologies, both at materials and system level.
The centre will also address challenges such as development of low emission combustion and gasification, and achieve high cycle efficiencies with reduced pollutants. IISc. has already set-up an advanced indigenous supercritical CO2 test loop at a laboratory scale.
Scientific and collective endeavours like NCCCR&D would enable achievement of an affordable, efficient, and compact reliable clean energy system.
It would help India in achieving international targets and ‘nationally determined contributions’ on climate change which inlcudes-
- To have at-least 40% of our total requirement of energy to be from clean energy sources by 2030 (of this India have already achieved around 34-35%)
- Reducing emissions of greenhouse gases (GHG) by 33% to 35% by 2030
Target beneficiaries of NCCCR&D: It includes national organisations such as the Gas Authority of India Ltd. (GAIL), National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), Bharat Heavy Electronics Ltd. (BHEL), Triveni Turbines Ltd and Tata Power.
Tags: Bharat Heavy Electronics Ltd. • Department of Science & Technology • Gas Authority of India Ltd. • Indian Institute of Science • National Centre for Clean Coal Research and Development
The Festival of Innovation & Entrepreneurship (FINE) was inaugurated by President Ramnath Kovind at Grambharti near Gandhinagar in Gujarat. On the occasion, President conferred 10th Biennial National Grassroots Innovation Awards.
Festival of Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- The Festival of Innovation & Entrepreneurship is an initiative of the Office of the President of India to recognise, respect and reward grassroots innovations and foster a supportive ecosystem.
- The Festival of Innovation & Entrepreneurship is organised by the President’s office in association with National Innovation Foundation-India and Department of Science & Technology.
- The Festival of Innovation & Entrepreneurship aims to provide a platform to the innovators for building the linkages with potential stakeholders whose support can improve their prospects in the coming years for the larger social good.
- The Festival helps in promoting lateral learning and linkages among the innovators to enrich the ecosystem for new India.
The Festival of Innovation & Entrepreneurship provides a window to the creative and innovative solutions for social development through grassroots innovations, student ideas and other technologies for agriculture, rural development, sanitation, health, women and child development, biotechnology and medical innovation for grassroots by providing a large number of open technological and other solutions for the developing and developed world.
Tags: Biennial National Grassroots Innovation Awards • Department of Science & Technology • Festival of Innovation & Entrepreneurship • FINE • Innovation