Development of Solar Cities Scheme Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) under its “Development of Solar Cities” scheme has sanctioned development of 60 Solar Cities including 13 Pilot and 5 Model Cities up to 12th Five-year Plan period (2012–2017). So far, master plans of 49 Solar Cities have been prepared. Moreover, Stake-holders Committees have been constituted in 21 Cities and Solar City Cells have been created in 37 Solar Cities.
Development of Solar Cities scheme
The Scheme aims at reducing minimum 10% in projected demand of conventional energy at end of five years, through combination of enhancing supply from renewable energy sources in city and energy efficiency measures. Under it, local Governments are motivated for adopting renewable energy technologies and energy efficiency measures.
Solar City developed under this scheme will have all types of renewable energy based projects like solar, wind, biomass, small hydro, waste to energy etc. It may be installed alongwith possible energy efficiency measures depending on the need and resource availability in the city.
Objectives of Solar City Scheme
- Enable and empower Urban Local Governments (ULBs) to address energy challenges at City-level.
- Provide framework and support to prepare Master Plan including assessment of current energy situation, future demand and action plans.
- Oversee the implementation of sustainable energy options through public-private partnerships (PPPs).
- Build capacity in ULBs and create awareness among all sections of civil society.
- Involve various stakeholders in the planning process.