Diarrhoea Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched a nationwide Intensified Diarrhoea Control Fortnight (IDCF) to check child diarrhoeal deaths.
The IDCF drive was launched by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda in New Delhi. It will be observed from 11th to 23rd July, 2016 across the country.
- The IDCF drive is a very cost -effective intervention to curb the risk of spread of diarrhoea which scales up during monsoon season
- Intensified community awareness campaigns on hygiene and promotion of Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS) and Zinc therapy will be conducted at state, district and village levels.
- Under this initiative, government aims at covering over 80 per cent of children (of the 10 crore children below five years of age) affected by diarrhoea across the country.
- The importance of this drive is that to make ORS available in the household when needed at the time of diarrhoea.
- ASHAs will visit all households with children below 5 years of age for pre-positioning the ORS. They will also explain the benefits of these.
- All health facilities will have ORS corners which will continuously demonstrate the way to prepare the ORS mixture.
- These corners will also administer ORS and Zinc to children who are in need of these during diarrhoea.
- Diarrhoea is caused by various virus, bacteria and protozoa like rotavirus, E.coli etc.
- The main reasons for diarrhoeal attacks amongst children are contaminated water, inadequate sanitation, poor hygiene, malnutrition and lack of immunisation.
- The combination of ORS and Zinc is the most cost-effective intervention to prevent deaths due to diarrhoea.