Diesel Electric Multiple Unit (DEMU) Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Railway Ministry has flagged off India’s first compressed natural gas (CNG) powered train between Rewari and Rohtak in Haryana.
It was flagged off by Union Minister for Railways Suresh Prabhu at Rewari junction of the Northern Railway zone.
Some facts about CNG train
- It is powered by Diesel Electric Multiple Unit (DEMU). It is based on dual fuel system- diesel and CNG.
- This train is integrated with 1,400 HP engine to run on dual fuel through fumigation technology.
- It is capable of running at a speed of 100 km per hour.
- Train comprised of two power cars and six car coaches, manufactured by Integral Coach Factory at Chennai with the CNG conversion kit supplied by Cummins.
- Its successful implementation, marks a major landmark in adoption of green fuel by Indian Railways.
- It will reduce greenhouse gas emissions of Railways and also the consumption of diesel. Thus, contributing in environment conservation.
- It will help to reduce the operating cost of locomotives by over 50% compared to conventional trains powered by diesel and electricity.