Digital Census Current Affairs - 2020
For the first time, the Census will collect data of transgenders headed houses. Also, the census will enquire about “Main cereal”, which is also included for the first time in the history of census of India.
The Census 2021 is to ask 31 questions to the citizens. For the first time of Indian history, the following are to be included
- The information about households run by transgender is to be collected. Under the question of sex of household head, male, female and transgender is to be collected.
- The Census 2021 is to be conducted through mobile phone application
- Inquiry about main cereal consumed
- Earlier it was announced that the census for the first time will collect data on OBC. However, this has not been included. Rather there is provision of SC/ST in the census.
The questions to be asked are decided by the Ministry of Home Affairs. The census is to begin by September 2020
What are the questions asked?
During the Census 2021, the following questions are to be asked to the citizens
- Questions one to five are related to building numbers, floor material of the house, house number, wall and roof of the house, condition of the census house and use of census house
- Questions six and seven are about total number of persons normally residing, household number
- The other questions include caste details, ownership status of the house, access to latrine, LPG connection, smart phone, car, drinking water availability, main source of lighting, type of latrine, waste water outlet, main cereal consumed, etc.
The 2011 census clubbed the employment of transgender, their caste and literacy under “Males” category.
Tags: Census 2021 • Census Data • Coarse Cereals • Digital Census • Transgender
The Seventh Economic Census is being conducted nationwide through Common Service Centres (CSC) and is expected to be completed by March 2020. This is the first time the census is being conducted digitally.
As the census is being conducted digitally, the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation conducting the census has tied up with CSC e-governance services for the 7th census. Currently the census is being held in Delhi. Delhi is the 26th place where the census is launched. The process is long and will take minimum of three months to complete the census in Delhi region alone. Already the census is on in 20 states and 5 union territories.
Initially the economic census process will take minimum of 2 years to complete. With digital processes implemented in the census, it is being completed in less than 6 months according to the Ministry. Around 1.5 lakh trained enumerators have been employed in the census. They will visit 35 crore households and establishments to carry out the census.
The Indian Economic Census is counting entrepreneurial units in the country. It involves both agricultural and non-agricultural activities. It provides information such as number of persons employed, number of establishments, type of ownership, source of finance, etc. The information provided by the census is used to plan and assess contribution of various sectors towards GDP of the country.
Indian Economic Census
The Indian Economic Census was first launched in 1977. So far 6 census have been conducted in the years 1977, 1980, 1990, 1998, 2005, 2013. The economic census 1980 and 1990 were integrated with population census.