Dileep Padgaonkar Current Affairs - 2020
Eminent Journalist and intellectual Dileep Padgaonkar passed away in Pune, Maharashtra after brief illness. He was 72.
Mr. Padgaonkar along with Prof. Radha Kumar and Information Commissioner Prof. M M Ansari were part of the three-member interlocutors team chosen by the Union Government in 2010 to design a road map for peace in strife-torn Jammu and Kashmir.
About Dileep Padgaonkar
- Padgaonkar was born in Pune in 1944. He graduated from Fergusson College, Pune n political science.
- Before commencing an illustrious career in journalism he had received doctorate in humanities from Sorbonne University, France,
- He joined Times of India as its Paris correspondent. Since then had served paper in various capacities before he was appointed its Editor in 1988. He held the post for six years.
- He also served with the UNESCO in Paris and Bangkok from 1978 to 1986.
- In 2010, he was part of a three member team of interlocutors selected by Union Government to design a road map for peace in strife-torn Jammu and Kashmir.
- A staunch liberal and had campaigned against communalism, Hindu nationalism and terrorism, among other pressing issues of the day.
- Awards and Honours: He was honoured with the Legion d’Honneur, France’s highest civilian distinction in April 2002 for his services to journalism.
Tags: Dileep Padgaonkar • Jammu and Kashmir • Journalism • Obituary • Persons in News