Director General Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
ITBP Director General S S Deswal was given additional charge of counter-terror force National Security Guard (NSG). He will take over from incumbent NSG DG Sudeep Lakhtakia who is set to retire on 31st July 2018.S S Deswal is 1984-batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of Telangana cadre.
About National Security Guard (NSG)
- It was established in 1984, to protect states against internal disturbances and terrorism. It is under administrative control of Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- It is Federal Contingency World Class Zero Error Force. It deals with anti-terrorist activities in all its forms.
- It is not categorised under Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) and has Special Forces mandate. Its core operational capability is provided by Special Action Group (SAG) which is drawn from Indian Army. The post NSG DG is occupied by an IPS officer.
- Functions: It is trained to conduct counter terrorist operations including bomb disposal, counter hijacking tasks on land/sea/air as well as Post Blast Investigation (PBI) and Hostage Rescue missions. It is intended for use only in exceptional situations and do not take over functions of other Para Military Forces or State Police Forces. Its police component Special Rangers Group (SRG) is mandated to handle VIP security and is composed of personnel on deputation from other CAPF.
- Why Black Cats? NSG personnel also called Black Cats due to their black dress and black cat insignia worn by them on their uniform.
- Achievement: 26/11, Operation Black Tornado , Operation Ashwamedh, akshardham attack.
Tags: appointments • Director General • ITBP • National Security Guard • Persons in News
The appointment of Kumar Rajesh Chandra as the Director General of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) has been approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet. As per the notification, he would continue in the post up to 31.12.2021 i.e. date of his retirement on superannuation or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
Kumar Rajesh Chandra is a 1985 batch IPS officer of the Bihar cadre.
Appointments Committee of the Cabinet
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by the Prime Minister decides on the appointments to several top posts under the Government of India. The committee also has Union Home Minister as the member.
Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB)
After the Chinese incursion of 1962, it was felt that the borders of the country could not be protected with the force of rifles alone. The government realised the importance of the backing and resolute will of a committed border population together with an in-depth understanding and familiarity of the terrain as well as the culture and ethos of the border population was required to defend the borders effectively.
Hence a unique, unconventional yet specialized organization, which would function in the far, flung, vulnerable, strategic, remote, climatically and topographically difficult border areas and motivate the border population across several states towards the cause of protecting our national sovereignty was conceived as Special Service Bureau in 1962. It was eventually created in March 1963. This Special Service Bureau was renamed the Sashastra Seema Bal in January 2001.
Tags: Appointments Committee of the Cabinet • Director General • Kumar Rajesh Chandra • Sashastra Seema Bal