Doordarshan Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
In bid to boost India’s relations with its neighbours, the government has entered into agreements with Bangladesh and South Korea to broadcast DD (Doordarshan) India channel in two countries and their state channels will be shown on DD Free Dish in India.
Bangladesh Agreement: As per the agreement inked with Bangladesh, Indian government has decided to show BTV World, a channel owned by Bangladesh TV, on DD Free Dish which will be available for viewers of Doordarshan (around 35 million households) in India. Also, DD India would be made available in Bangladesh for being viewed by Bangladesh’s citizen.
In this regard a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has already been signed between Prasar Bharati and Bangladesh TV (BTV) on 7 May 2019.
South Korea Agreement: Indian government has also approved Prasar Bharati (India’s Broadcasting agency) proposal for making available KBS World, a 24×7 South Korean channel (English) for Indian viewers and simultaneously South Korean people would be able to view DD India in their country.
Significance: This move is part of a robust cultural exchange in line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Act East policy and also marks an important watershed moment with respect to strengthening of ties between two countries. The step is also in line with importance of building mutual cooperation with neighbouring countries.
Tags: Act East Policy • Bangladesh TV • DD Free Dish • Doordarshan • India-Bangladesh • India-South Korea • KBS • KBS World • Memorandum of Understanding • Ministry of Information & Broadcasting • MoU • Prasar Bharati
The Financial Literacy Week 2019 will be observed from 3 June to 7 June. It is an annual initiative by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to promote awareness on key topics through a focused campaign.
- The theme of Financial Literacy Week 2019 is ‘Farmers’ which focuses on how they can benefit by being a part of the formal banking system.
- Objective: The aim of initiative is to create awareness about financial products and services, good financial practices, going digital and consumer protection.
- During the Financial Literacy week, the messages disseminated will be focussed on Responsible Borrowing & Agricultural Finance.
- Measures: RBI’s Financial Education Initiative includes-
- The FAME (Financial Awareness Messages) booklet– which provides basic financial literacy messages for information of general public.
- Tailored financial literacy content developed by RBI which can be used by the trainers in financial literacy programmes primarily for five target groups namely Farmers, Small entrepreneurs, School children, Self Help Groups (SHG) and Senior Citizens.
- RBI has designed Audio visuals on “Basic Financial Literacy“, “Unified Payments Interface” (UPI) and “Going Digital” for the benefit of general public on topics relating to Financial Literacy.
- Both Rural and Urban banks are advised to display the posters and content in their branches, Financial Literacy Centers, ATMs and websites.
- During month of June, RBI will also undertake a centralized mass media campaign on Doordarshan and All India Radio (AIR) to disseminate essential financial awareness messages to farmers via these mediums.
- Significance: With 60% of country’s population employed in agriculture, growth in agriculture becomes necessary for overall economic growth and finance act an essential enabler for the same. Thus, RBI is actively involved in formulating policies that enhances flow of credit to farming community.