Dr BC Roy Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The National Doctors’ Day is observed on 1 July every year across to raise the awareness about the doctor’s role in daily life.
Significance of the day: The observance of the day seeks to honour legendary physician, Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy whose birth and death anniversary coincides on the same day.
About Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy
- Born on 1 July 1882 in Patna, Bihar and died on 1 July 1962 in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- He was a highly respected physician and a renowned freedom fighter.
- He was the second Chief Minister of West Bengal and remained in his post for 14 years from 1948 until his death in 1962.
- He is often considered the great architect of West Bengal. He had founded five cities of West Bengal Durgapur, Bidhannagar, Ashokenagar, Kalyani and Habra.
- He was also a member of the Brahmo Samaj. He was an alumnus of the Medical College Calcutta of the University of Calcutta.
- Awards and Honours: Bharat Ratna (1961). The Union Government has instituted Dr BC Roy National Award in his memory.