Drugs Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare has opened country’s first Affordable Medicines and Reliable Implants for Treatment (AMRIT) outlet at AIIMS in New Delhi to sell drugs at highly discounted rates.
The retail outlet was inaugurated by Union Health Minister J P Nadda at AIIMS campus in New Delhi under the AMRIT programme which aims drugs to sell drugs at highly discounted rates.
- The pilot AMRIT outlet will provide drugs for cancer and cardiovascular diseases at highly discounted rates.
- At this outlet the prices of 202 cancer and 186 cardio-vascular drugs will reduced on an average by 60 to 90 per cent.
- The pilot AMRIT oultlet will be managed by the government-owned HLL Lifecare Ltd (HLL), which will sell both drugs and implants at significant discount on market rates.
- These drugs and implants will be sold based upon authentic prescriptions from doctors to AIIMS patients and also patients availing treatment at other hospitals.
Later, HLL Lifecare Ltd will establish and run the AMRIT chain of pharmacies across the country with an aim to reduce the cost of treatment for the patients.
Sub-Regional Drug Focal Point Meeting and Colombo Plan Drug Advisory Programme (CPDAP), South Asia under the Drug Demand Reduction (DDR) Expert Group Consultation has begun in New Delhi.
The three-day meeting was inaugurated by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh which has been organised by Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB).
- Main objective is to review the progress of the Drug Demand and Supply Reduction activities in the South Asia region.
- Facilitate exchange of views between delegates on technical aspects of the drug cooperation programme and it aims at achieving efficiency and effectiveness.
- Address the needs of the member states and help formulate a uniform strategic plan to address drug use and abuse related problems.
- CPDAP will provide a great platform to coordinate among different countries fighting for the cause of drug menace.
- About 40 delegates from various participating countries are participating in this meeting.
Drug Menace in South Asia region
- South Asia region is present on the so called Golden Crescent (overlaps Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan) and Golden Triangle (overlaps Myanmar, Laos and Thailand) which are two main opium-producing areas in the world.
- Part of South West and South East Asia are more venerable for drug trafficking and its abuse especially among the youth is matter of concern.
- The involvement of various terrorist groups and syndicates in drug trafficking has been seen as grave threat to national security and sovereignty of countries in this region.
- India’s concern: Due to its close proximity with major opium growing areas of the region, India is facing the serious menace of drug trafficking and spillover effect.