Dubai Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Dubai will be hosting the 2019 First Global DXB Challenge, a large gathering for creative young minds in the fields of robotics and artificial intelligence. It will be held for the first time in the region from 24 to 27 October 2019 at the Festival Arena in Dubai, UAE.
About 2019 First Global DXB Challenge
Objective: First Global Challenge seeks-
- To encourage and empower youth with a passion for science, technology, mathematics, engineering, and develop their skills and equip them with tools necessary to contribute to shaping future.
- To address the world’s most critical environmental issues like sustainability and pollution, wastage of energy and water through a global robotics competition.
Organised by: The Dubai Future Foundation
Theme of the event: ‘Ocean Opportunities’.
The event will bring together over 1,500 youth from over 191 countries to collaborate, create and compete for a better future, thus making it one of the largest events of its kind in the Middle East region.
The Challenge focuses on developing robots to clean up millions of tons of pollutants in oceans. Each team will receive a robotic kit and is tasked with assembling a robot that will be able to address various issues related to ocean and marine life.
Tags: Artificial Intelligence • Dubai • Global DXB Challenge • Robotics
An 8 year old Indian origin student named Nia Tony was honoured during 22nd edition of Emirates Recycling Awards in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE). She won the award in the paper section in individual category for collecting a total of 14,914 kg of paper waste.
- Ms. Tony was honoured with Eco Champions of Recycling award for her efforts in keeping the environment clean by collecting paper waste.
- She collected nearly 15,000 kg of paper waste in Gulf’s United Arab Emirate (UAE) as part of a nationwide recycling campaign.
- She campaigned around her residency area to collect paper, so that it can be recycled. Every week, she used to go out for collecting newspapers, magazines, and other paper that people threw away or didn’t wanted to keep.
About Emirates Recycling Awards
- The campaign was organized by the Emirates Environmental Group (EEG), a non-governmental professional working group based in UAE.
- The Emirates Recycling Awards were conducted to celebrate World Environment Day (observed on 5 June). The event was held under the Patronage and in esteemed presence of H.E. Engr. Sheikh Salem Bin Sultan Bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Chairman of Department of Civil Aviation and Honorary member of EEG.
- Categories: This eco-friendly drive in UAE was based on three categories- (1) corporations, (2) academic institutions and (3) individuals/families.
- The materials that were collected during campaign included paper, plastic, glass, cans, mobiles, among other items.
- Significance: Through this nationwide recycling campaign, EEG was able to reduce projected carbon emissions by about 73,393 metric tonnes.