e-Marketplace Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Ministry of Commerce and Industries has launched blockchain-based e-marketplace for coffee.
Blockchain Based e-marketplace
- The e-marketplace helps farmers integrate directly with markets in a transparent manner, allowing them to realize fair prices for their produce.
- The blockchain technology will help in reducing the number of intermediaries between coffee growers and buyers and help farmers double their income.
- The blockchain-based marketplace app for trading coffee brings transparency and maintains the traceability of Indian coffee from bean to cup.
- The blockchain-based marketplace app by facilitating direct access to buyers, it will reduce growers’ dependency on intermediaries and help them get a fair price for their produce.
- The coffee board has collaborated with Eka Plus for the development of the app.
India produces one of the best coffees in the world and a considerable portion of it comes from small coffee growers and tribal farmers. Although Indian coffee is highly valued in the world market, the share of farmers in the final returns from coffee is very low. The Blockchain Based e-marketplace app is expected to help farmers in gaining higher returns.
Government e Marketplace (GeM) and Competition Commission of India (CCI) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to enable a fair and competitive environment in the e-Marketplace.
Combating Anti-competitive practices
Both CCI and GeM attach significant importance to the advanced analytical tools and processes for identification of malpractices like cartelization. Hence to pool their knowledge of the public procurement domain for detection of Anti-competitive practices GeM and CCI have signed a MoU.
Government e Marketplace (GeM)
GeM is a state-of-the-art national public procurement platform of Ministry of Commerce and Industries. GeM facilitates online procurement of common use Goods & Services required by various Government Departments / Organisations / PSUs.
GeM provides the tools of e-bidding, reverse e-auction and demand aggregation to facilitate the government users, achieve the best value for their money.
GeM aims to enhance transparency, efficiency and speed in public procurement and has used technology to remove entry barriers for bonafide sellers and has created a vibrant e-marketplace with a wide range of goods and services.
Competition Commission of India (CCI)
Competition Commission of India is a statutory body of the Government of India, responsible for enforcing the Competition Act, 2002 throughout the country and to prevent activities that have an adverse effect on competition. CCI consists of a Chairperson and 6 Members appointed by the Central Government.