e-rickshaws Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Lok Sabha has passed the Motor Vehicles Amendment Bill, 2014 in order to regularize e-rickshaws which were banned earlier by Delhi high court on safety grounds. The Bill seeks to amend the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
This bill was introduced by Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari and was passed by voice vote.
- This amendment Bill brings e-carts and e-rickshaws under the ambit of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. Earlier the Act did not have provision related to the e-carts and e-rickshaws thus were not considered legal.
- This bill defines E-carts and e-rickshaws as special purpose battery powered vehicles, having three wheels, and with power up to 4000 watts.
- It also mentions that, they can be used for carrying goods or passengers, for hire or reward.
- Bill specifies that they should have been manufactured, equipped and maintained in accordance with specifications as prescribed by government.
- The Bill has provision related to the driver licenses and conditions for issuing e-cart or e-rickshaw license shall be prescribed by central government.
- The Bill also provides powers to the central government to make Rules on the specifications for e-carts and e-rickshaws, and the manner and conditions for issuing driving licenses.