Earthquakes Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Haryana’s New Secretariat Building in Chandigarh has become first building in the country to have an early Earthquake Warning and Security system (onsite).
The system was installed by New Delhi based Terra Techcom Private Limited and Secretary Electronics GmbH, Germany.
- The system can provide crucial seconds for evacuation in event of an earthquake and is already being used in 26 countries around the world.
- It works on the principle of detection of primary and secondary seismic waves of an earthquake.
- The primary waves are fastest kind of seismic wave and are the initial vertical movements beneath the earth that do not cause any damage.
- They are soon followed by secondary waves that travel beneath the earth horizontally and have the potential to cause damage. They are generally known to us as an earthquake.
- The system detects intensity of the primary waves and gives out warning alarm only when the intensity of the secondary waves is high enough to potentially cause damage.
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Disaster Management • Earthquakes • Haryana [HPSC] • States
A powerful earthquake magnitude 6.6 on Richter scale has hit Indonesia’s eastern region of Papua.
As per US Geological Survey (USGS), the epicentre of earthquake was centred 28 kilometers north of Sorong and it had occurred at a depth of 24 kilometers.
This underwater quake had no potential of generating tsunami waves along nearby coasts.
Indonesia which is the world’s largest archipelago falls in so called region of Pacific Ring of Fire, an arc of volcanoes and fault lines in the Pacific Basin prone to earthquakes.
In 2004, huge undersea earthquake off the shores of Aceh (Sumaratan province) in Indonesia had triggered a giant tsunami which had killed 230,000 people in a dozen countries including India with coasts on the Indian Ocean.
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • Earthquakes • Indonesia • Natural Disaster • Tsunami