East Asia Summit Current Affairs - 2020
PM Modi on the sidelines of 35th ASEAN summit and 14th East Asia Summit, met the President of Indonesia H.E. Joko Widodo and the Thailand PM Prayut Chan-o-Cha (Gen (retd)).
Highlights of the meetings: Indonesia President
- The leaders discussed the threat to extremism and terrorism and agreed to work closely. The meeting on terrorism is important for India’s interests in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Also, they discussed on trade, investment and connectivity and Indo-Pacific
- India has asked for greater market access in the region in the fields of pharmaceuticals, agricultural products and automotive.
- The meeting also gains its importance as India and Indonesia are celebrating their 70th anniversary of establishment of diplomatic relations. The countries are close maritime neighbors having historical and cultural linkages. Also India’s ‘Act East Policy’ is complimented by Indonesia’s ‘Look West’ policy.
Highlights of the meetings: Thailand PM
- The leaders welcomed the 20% increase in the bilateral trade between the countries
- They agreed to explore opportunities for cooperation in defence industries sector
- PM Modi discussed ways to enhance connectivity between the two countries in the areas of digital connectivity and physical connectivity.
- India and Thailand are close maritime neighbors. India’s Act East Policy is complimented by the Thailand’s Look West Policy as that of Indonesia.
Tags: Act East Policy • ASEAN • East Asia Summit • India-ASEAN • India-Indonesia
PM Modi is on an official visit to Thailand to attend the ASEAN, RCEP and East Asia Summits. He addressed the Indian diaspora in the country at the “Sawasdee PM Modi” event in the Thai capital, Bangkok.
Highlights of his address
- North East India to be the gateway to South East Asia as a part of India’s Act East Policy
- India announced itself open-defecation free on Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary
- Around 8 crore homes have received free LPG connections in 3 years.
- GoI is working to achieve the goal of house for every poor by 2022, when India celebrates 75 years of independence.
- Princess Maha Chakri Srindhorn is an expert in Sanskrit language and has deep interest towards culture. India has shown its gratitude to her by bestowing the Padma Bhushan and Sanskrit Samman award to her.
Prior to his speech, the PM released a commemorative coin marking 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev and also released the Thai translation of Tamil classic Tirukkural.