Economic Census Current Affairs - 2020
The seventh Economic Census was flagged off at the National Capital by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation. This is the first time the Census is being carried out in Digital Platform. The Ministry has tied up with Common Service Centres Network (CSCN) for the digital implementation of the census
Delhi is the 26th state where the Census is being launched. It is already in process in 20 states and 5 Union Territories. At the capital, it will take three months for the census to complete. More than 1.5 lakh trained volunteers are to visit more than 35 crore establishments to carry out the census.
National Economic Census
The Indian Economic Census is counting the entrepreneurial units involved in agricultural, non-agricultural or any other economic activity. It provides information about the number of establishments in the country, number of persons employed, type of ownership, finance, etc. So far, 6 economic censuses have been held. They were in 1977, 1980, 1990, 1998, 2005, 2013. The seventh Census is the ongoing census that began in 2019.
Tags: 7th Economic Census 2019 • Economic Census • Economic Growth • micro entrepreneurs • Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation
Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved continuation of Capacity Development Scheme for period 2017-18 to 2019-20. It is ongoing Central Sector Scheme of Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation (MoSPI).
Capacity Development Scheme
Its objective is to augment infrastructural, technical as well as manpower resources for making available credible and timely official statistics for policy makers and public at large.
Two Sub-schemes under it
- Economic Census: It includes listing of all non-agricultural establishments is undertaken periodically, which forms the basis for conducting detailed socio-economic surveys. The last (6l) Economic Census was conducted during January 2013 to April 2014. Government is now aiming to conduct this census once every three years in future.
- Support for Statistical Strengthening (SSS): It seeks to strengthen State and sub-State level statistical systems and infrastructure to facilitate development of robust national system. Under it, funds are released to States and UTs after detailed examination of their proposals.
Major ongoing activities carried out under this scheme
- Augmenting resources for bringing out important statistical products such as Gross Domestic Product (GDP), Consumer Price Index (CPI), Index of Industrial Production (IIP), Statistical classifications, etc.
- Conducting various Socio-Economic surveys, capacity building and strengthening statistical coordination and improving Information Technology (IT) infrastructure.
- Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS), a continuous survey to assess quarterly labour data in urban areas and annual labour data for the whole country (urban and rural areas).
- Three new surveys Time Use Survey (TUS), Annual Survey of Service Sector Enterprises (ASSSE), and Annual Survey of Unincorporated Sector Enterprises (ASUSE) will be also undertaken for better statistical coverage of sectors/areas.
Tags: Cabinet Decisions • Capacity Development Scheme • CCEA • Economic Census • Government Schemes