Education for Girls Current Affairs - 2020
The Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath launched flagship scheme “Mukhya Mantri Kanya Sumangala Yojana”. It was launched in Lucknow for the state of Uttar Pradesh. Smriti Irani, the Union Minister was present in the occasion.
Key Features of the scheme
- The scheme will provide Rs 15,000 to every family where a girl child is born. It will be released in a phased manner.
- The design of the scheme is in such a way that the parents will have to take care of the girl child with proper care with respect to her health and education in order to get the benefit
- The funds will be released when the girl child completes various milestones like vaccination, admission to class 1, 5, 9 and graduation.
- The Kanya Sumangala web portal was also launched along with the scheme.
- The launch of the scheme was conferred with symbolic cheques and certificated to some of the beneficiaries.
- Around 1.25 lakh registrations had already been initiated under the scheme. The girl child born after April 1, 2019 are eligible for the fund.
Tags: Education for Girls • Government of Uttar Pradesh • kanya sumangala yojana • Uttar Pradesh [UPPSC] • Women Empowerment
The sub-committee of Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) looking into issues of girl’s education has recommended free and compulsory education for girls up to post-graduate level across the country.
The sub-committee is likely to submit an interim report to Union Human Resource Development Ministry during CABE meeting on January 15, 2018.
The meeting of sub-committee was held in Hyderabad, Telangana and was chaired by Kadiam Srihari, Deputy Chief Minister and Education Minister of Telangana. It was attended by Education Ministers of Telangana, Jharkhand and Assam and Special Human Resources Development (HRD) Department Special Secretary Rinarayi, Member Secretary Meenakshi Garg and other officials.
Key Outcomes of meeting
The sub-committee of CABE will also recommended establishing of exclusive residential degree colleges for SC/ST women besides provision of providing health and hygiene kits to girls. The committee also wants schools to maintain academic atmosphere, besides providing basic amenities like toilets, maintenance, running water, safety measures and power supply and also appoint a counsellor for adolescent girls.
Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE)
CABE is the policy making advisory body of the HRB Ministry. The committee has representatives of central organisation, universities, state and bodies including planning commission, NGOs and civic society. The CABE committee headed by HRD Minister is generally made for three years.