Education Current Affairs - 2020
Eminent freedom fighter and educationist Madan Mohan Malviya was conferred with Bharat Ratna (posthumously), highest civilian award of the country.
His family members received the award from President Pranab Mukherjee at the glittering function held at Durbar hall of the Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
About Madan Mohan Malviya
- Madan Mohan Malviya was an eminent educationist and politician notable for his role in India’s freedom struggle.
- He was founder of Asia’s largest residential university – Banaras Hindu University (BHU) founded in 1916.
- Malviya was President of Indian National Congress (INC) and had served his term in 1909 and 1918.
- He is also remembered for his stellar role in the Independence movement and his espousal of Hindu nationalism. He was one of the initial leaders of the right-wing Hindu Mahasabha.
- He was Chairman of Hindustan Times from 1924 to 1946 and his efforts resulted in the launch of its Hindi edition named Hindustan Dainik in 1936.
- He is also credited for popularizing the slogan of Satyameva Jayate which was later adopted as the national motto.
- He was born on December 25, 1861 and was popularly known ‘Mahaman’. He died in 1946.
Tags: awards • Education • Political
Harvard University of United States (US) has again topped in World Reputation Rankings 2015 published by Times Higher Education.
Times Higher Education in the rankings revealed the top 100 universities across the world.
Top 10 Universities in World Reputation Rankings 2015 are
- Harvard University (US).
- University of Cambridge (UK).
- University of Oxford (UK).
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (US).
- Stanford University (US).
- University of California, Berkeley (US).
- Princeton University (US).
- Yale University (US).
- California Institute of Technology (US).
- Columbia University (US).
Key highlights of World Reputation Rankings 2015
- The top ten universities are all located in the US and United Kingdom (UK). US alone has 8 universities in the top ten rankings. While, UK has 2 universities in the top 10 ranking.
- 2015 reputation rankings shows that US alone has 43 higher education institutions in the top 100. While, United has 12 universities in the top 100.
- Germany is third best-represented nation in the ranking after the US and the UK. It has 6 universities in top 100.
- In case of Asian countries, University of Tokyo is placed at 12 position in the rankings. China’s Tsinghua University is placed at 26 and Peking University is placed at 32 postion.