Education Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Human Resource Ministry has formally launched Indian Institute of Techonogy (IIT) Dharwad in Karnataka.
It was launched by Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash.
- IIT-Dharwad is located at Walmi centre on the Dharwad’s outskirts till its permanent campus is built
- The prestigious higher education institute has already started functioning from this academic year from a temporary structure.
- Around 2000 students with Science and Maths background have been invited to the inaugural function to sensitise them about the higher learning institute.
- It is spread over the sprawling 470 acres allocated by the state government at nearby Kelgeri town.
Tags: Education • IIT Dharwad • Karataka • National • Places in News
The Parliament has passed the Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to set up six new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
The Bill seeks to amend the Institutes of Technology Act, 1961 to add six new IITs as institutions of national importance.
Key Features of Bill
- Addition of six new IITs in Palakkad (Kerala), Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh), Goa, Dharwar (Karnataka), Bhilai (Chhattisgarh) and Jammu (Jammu and Kashmir).
- Bring the Indian School of Mines (ISM), Dhanbad (Jharkhand) within the ambit of the parent Act. All these institutions will be declared as institutions of national importance.
- Until the statutes in relation to IIT (ISM), Dhanbad are made under the parent Act, the statutes applicable to IIT Roorkee will apply to it.
The Institutes of Technology Act, 1961 declares certain Institutes of Technology as institutions of national importance.