Election Commission Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Election Commission (EC) has urged the Union Government to amend the electoral law Representation of the People Act (RPA), 1951 to empower it to either postpone or countermand elections if evidence emerges of use of money to influence voters.
In this regard, EC has asked Union Government to insert a new clause ‘58 B’ in the RPA, 1951 to allow adjournment or countermanding (declaring invalid) of election on the grounds of use of money power (bribery) in the affected polling areas. The provision would also empower the EC to re-schedule the elections in such areas.
At present, Clause 58A of RPA empowers EC to cancel polls only if there is an evidence of use of muscle power or booth-capturing to influence votes to change outcome of elections.
However in recent time, candidates and political parties are allegedly doling out cash and giving freebies (gifts) to woo the electorate
The Election Commission of India (ECI) has launched an innovative mobile application titled e-voter with comprehensive details about the forthcoming 2016 Assembly polls in Kerala.
The app is envisaged for voters’ facilitation for search in electoral roll, information regarding candidates, location of polling station, affidavit filed by them, filing of complaint and so on.
- The e-voter app was developed by the state IT Mission. It aims at ensuring great transparency and conduct of free and fair elections.
- The app has ‘know your candidate’ option that would provide constituency wise details of candidates.
- It has ‘constituency list’ option that would give segment wise details of voters (total number of voters, number of male voters and female voters) and total polling stations.
- The app will also provide information about previous elections results and names of Chief Ministers.
- The e-voter app can be downloaded from the Google Play store and can be installed on any android phone