Elections Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On 16th December 2018, Ranil Wickremesinghe has once again become the Prime Minister of Sri Lanka after the end of the weeks-long political crisis in the island nation.
On 26th October 2018, Mr. Ranil Wickremsing was ousted as Prime minister of Sri Lanka. He was replaced by Mahinda Rajapaksa as the Prime Minister. Mr. Rajapaksa resigned on 15th October 2018 after he failed to prove majority in the Sri Lankan Parliament. Ranil Wickremesinghe has been sworn in as the Prime minister for the fifth time which is a record in Sri Lanka.
About Ranil Wickremesinghe:
- Ranil Wickremesinghe is a Sri Lankan politician and the incumbent Prime Minister of Sri Lanka.
- He belongs to United National Party and has served as its leader since 1994.
- He got elected as Member of Parliament (MP) for the first time in 1977 from Colombo District.
- Ranil Wickremesinghe was appointed as the Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs in the J. R. Jayewardene government.
- He also became the youngest cabinet minister of Sri Lanka after he was promoted to the post of Minister of Youth Affairs and Employment.
- Ranil Wickremesinghe has also been the Prime Minister of Sri Lanka from 1993 to 1994 and 2001 to 2004.
- After the assassination of Gamini Dissanayake, during the 1994 presidential election campaign, Wickremesinghe was appointed the party leader of the United National Party in November 1994.
- Maithripala Sirisena defeated Mahinda Rajapaksa in the 2015 presidential elections of Sri Lanka. Following which, on 8th January 2015, Wickremesinghe was appointed as prime minister by Sirisena.
In the 2015 parliamentary elections of Sri Lanka, Wickremesinghe’s coalition alliance, called as the United National Front for Good Governance, won 106 seats. Although it did not attain an outright majority, Wickremesinghe got re-elected as Sri Lankan Prime Minister as over 35 MPs from the Sri Lanka Freedom Party joined his cabinet.
Bhupesh Baghel, who is also the president of Chhattisgarh Pradesh Congress Committee, will be the new chief minister of Chhattisgarh state. Bhupesh Baghel has been named as the leader of the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) by the newly elected legislators in Raipur on 16th December 2018.
About Bhupesh Baghel:
- Bhupesh Baghel is a politician from Chhattisgarh and belongs to Indian National Congress.
- He is set to become the third chief minister of Chhattisgarh after the INC won the majority of seats in Assembly elections held in November 2018.
- The assembly constituency of Bhupesh Baghel is Patan in District Durg
2018 Assembly Elections in Chhattisgarh:
- The Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly elections in 2018 took place to elect members of the Vidhan Sabha (Legislative Assembly) of Chhattisgarh. The elections in Chhattisgarh were held in two phases: the first phase of elections for 18 seats in South Chhattisgarh was held on 12 November 2018 and the second phase of elections for the remaining 72 took place on 20 November 2018
- The elections were held for a total of 90 Assembly seats.
- The Indian National Congress won 68 seats out of 90 seats winning the majority to form the government.
- The Bharatiya Janata Party could win only 15 seats.
- The Incumbent Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh Sh. Raman Singh resigned from his post on 11th December 2018
Baghel will be sworn in as the chief minister of Chhattisgarh by Governor Anandiben Patel in a ceremony in the state capital Raipur on 17th December 2018.