Electroactive Bandage Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) has developed a new high-tech electroactive bandage that uses electricity to significantly promote healing of injured wounds.
The high-tech bandage creates an electric charge to promote the healing process of wounds in space especially in conditions of non-Earth gravity.
- In conditions of non-Earth gravity, human blood displays quite different behaviour from that on Earth. In case of injury in space, wounds heal more slowly
- Considering the survival risks due to injury and the cost of space missions, healing wounds as fast as possible is crucial.
- The electroactive bandage uses a new material called polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) which can be stimulated by pressure of cell growth and body heat.
- The new material generates a small amount of electricity when interacts with another surface, including human skin.
- When this electroactive bandage is applied to an external wound site, it utilises low level electrical stimulation to promote wound healing.
- The bandage speeds the wound’s healing process and minimises infection and related complications such as amputation or illness.
- Potential Applications: This bandage could be used by astronauts in space, military personnel wounded in field, patients who have undergone surgery or who have suffered a serious wound.