Elephants Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Northeast India’s first exclusive hospital for elephants has been established at the Kaziranga National Park in Assam.
The hospital was set up at Mark Shand Memorial Learning Centre in Kaziranga National Park. It was inaugurated by Sir Evelyn de Rothschild who is founding patron of the UK-based charity Elephant Family.
About Kaziranga National Park
- It is located in the Golaghat and Nagaon districts of Assam and is circumscribed by the Brahmaputra River.
- It was designated with National Park status in 1968 and was declared UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1985 for its unique natural environment.
- The park hosts two-thirds of the world’s great one-horned rhinoceroses which are listed as vulnerable on the IUCN Red list of Threatened Species.
- It is also home to large breeding populations of tigers, elephants, wild water buffalo, and swamp deer.
- Kaziranga is also recognized as an Important Bird Area by BirdLife International for conservation of avifaunal species.