Engineering Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) in Bangalore and Indian Instituted of Technology (IIT) Bombay were ranked among world’s top 200 institutions for engineering and computer science in Times Higher Education subject-wise rankings. IISc was placed at the 89th spot, while IIT Bombay was placed in the 126- 150 category, globally.
Times Higher Education subject-wise rankings scored 500 institutions worldwide on performance parameters such as industry income, international outlook, teaching and research. It highlights the educational institutions that are leading in electrical, mechanical, civil, chemical and general engineering courses.
In this edition, Stanford University from US was ranked number one, followed by California institute of Technology, Oxford University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Cambridge University.
China had total of 35 institutions in rankings, highest in Asia. China’s Peking University and National University of Singapore are among top ten and top performers from Asia. India has a total of eleven institutions in rankings,
IITs in Delhi, Kanpur and Kharagpur were placed in 201-250 band and IITs in Madras and Roorkee in 251 – 300 category. Meanwhile, IIT Guwahati was among institutes in 301 – 400 ranks and Jadavpur University, NIT Rourkela and Tezpur University were pegged in 401 to 500 band.
Four Indian-Americans have been selected to the prestigious US National Academy of Engineering (NAE).
They are part of total 80 selected members list selected for their valuable contributions to the society.
Selected Indian-Americans are
- Anil K. Jain: He was elected for his contributions to the practice of biometrics and field of engineering. He is an IIT-Kanpur alumnus and currently working as distinguished professor at the Michigan State University in East Lansing in the department of computer science and engineering.
- Arati Prabhakar: He was chosen for national leadership to advance semiconductor and information technologies. He is currently director of the US Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) in Virginia.
- Ganesh Thakur: He was chosen for his leadership in the implementation of integrated reservoir management techniques. Currently, he is the president of Thakur Services Inc. in Houston, Texas.
- K.R. Sridhar: He was selected for his contributions to thermal packaging of electrochemical systems and transport phenomena and also generation of clean, affordable and reliable power. Currently he is chief executive officer and principal co-founder of Bloom Energy Corporation in California. Earlier he had worked with NASA Mars programme.
About US National Academy of Engineering (NAE)
- NAE is a private non-profit governmental organization (NGO) in the United States.
- It was established in 1964 and is part of the US National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.
- New members NAE are elected annually by current members based on their distinguished achievements in original research.
- The NAE operates engineering programs aimed at meeting national needs, encourages research and education. It also recognizes the superior achievements of engineers.