Engineering Students Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On November 18, 2019, the “2019 Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange” was released. According to the report, India remained the largest source of foreign students to the US for the 10th consecutive year. This year alone, India has sent around 202,000 students to the US. It is the second largest number of foreign students from a country to the US. The first largest source is China.
Key Findings of the Report
- In 2019, the total number of international students in the US are 1,095,299. The number has raised by 0.05% as compared to 2018.
- International students account to 5.5% of US higher education population. Of this, India and China alone accounts to more than 50%
- The other countries where majority of the students come from include South Korea (52,250), Saudi Arabia (37,080) and Canada (26,122).
- The number of students from countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria and Brazil have increased as compared to the previous years.
- For the US students, European countries are the popular destinations for their higher studies. Around 54.9% of US students choose Europe as their higher education destinies.
Tags: Bangladesh • Education • Engineering Students • Higher Education • India-China
Tech giant Google and Union Ministry of Electronics and IT (MeitY) launched ‘Build for Digital India’ programme for engineering students. Google and Meity have signed a statement of intent for rolling out the programme.
About ‘Build for Digital India’ programme
Objective: The programme will offer a platform to engineering students for developing market-ready, technology-based solutions that addresses key social problems.
Process: Applicants will take part in online and offline learning opportunities on key technologies which includes Machine Learning (ML), Cloud and Android that will be offered by Google’s Developer Student Club network and other Google Developer networks.
Google will also offer mentorship sessions in strategy, product design and technology to most promising products and prototypes.
Addressing key social problems:
As part of programme, engineering students across India will be invited to present their ideas and solutions in areas such as education, agriculture, healthcare, women safety, infrastructure, smart cities, smart mobility and transportation, environment, accessibility and disability as well as digital literacy.
AI can help address the toughest social challenges of India:
Advanced new technologies such as Machine Learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) can help address at scale some of toughest social challenges that India faces today.
Significance: This initiative will not only motivate college students across India to innovate but will also produce some good technology solutions for some major social challenges of India.
It will also inspire and equip young engineers with technical and entrepreneurial skills and mentorship they need to turn their bright ideas into tomorrow’s breakthrough solutions.
Tags: Artificial Intelligence • Build for Digital India programme • Digital India • Engineering Students • Google