English Current Affairs - 2020
No Presents Please is an English Novel translated from Kannada Work of Jayant Kaikini. The novel was translated to English by Tejaswini Niranjana. The award was announced during the Tata Steel Kolkata Literary Meet.
The award was presented by eminent writer Ruskin Bond to Jayant Kaikini and translator Tejaswini Niranjana. For the first time the award was being given to a translated work and the jury wanted to recognise the outstanding contribution of Tejaswini Niranjana, the translator.
The novel presents illustrate life in Mumbai with the Mumbai City presented as a protagonist of a coherent narrative.
DSC Prize for South Asian Literature
Instituted in 2010, the DSC Prize for South Asian Literature awards the best work in South Asian fiction writing each year. The Prize is awarded to writers of any ethnicity or nationality writing about South Asia themes such as culture, politics, history, or people.
The DSC Prize for South Asian Literature was instituted by Surina Narula and Manhad Narula in 2010 for an original full-length novel written in English, or translated into English.
Tags: English • Jayant Kaikini • Kannada • No Presents Please • Ruskin Bond
English has been ranked first in the top 10 most powerful languages in the world according to the 2016 World Power Language Index (PLI).
The index was published by World Economic Forum (WEF). Indian language Hindi was ranked 10th in the 2016 PLI.
- According to the index there are over 6,000 languages spoken in the world. Of these 2,000 count fewer than 1,000 speakers.
- Moreover, just 15 languages account for half of the languages spoken in the world. English is dominant language of 3 G7 nations (USA, UK and Canada).
- Top 10 Languages in 2016 PLI: English (1st), Mandarin (2nd), French (3rd), Spanish (4th), Arabic (5th), Russian (6th), German (7th), Japanese (8th), Portuguese (9th) and Hindi (10th).
- The top six languages are official languages of the United Nations. The remaining 4 in the top 10 include two other BRIC languages (Portuguese and Hindi) and 2 of the economic heavyweights (Germany and Japan).
- Hindi is most primarily language spoken in India with a share of 41%. It is also the official language of Indian government.
About World Power Language Index (PLI)
- The World Power Language Index (PLI) compares or ranks languages on their efficacy in the various domains.
- It uses 20 indicators to measure the influence on language. It measures the usefulness of a language to a representative human being.
- It is not meant to apply to any particular person with their own set of conditions, preferences and geography.
- It does not measure of the beauty or merit of a language or its associated cultures.